Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Sunday, July 11, 2010

Outdoor Style

I am looking for the perfect images of pergolas & outdoor living areas to show to my builder, architect &  my dream guy, to ensure they have the same image of the end result of this dream house. My dream guy has given me complete creative freedom on pretty much every aspect of this house design, but I know he would have a picture in his mind of how it is going to look & I am guessing it is a little different to my vision.
Outdoor Dining Area contemporary patio

I really love this style of pergola, especially the shape of the upright posts.

AMS Landscape Design Studios mediterranean exterior

I love the style & colour of the pavers in this image. The fireplace & lighting create a beautiful yet cosy ambiance.
We hope to eventually have an outdoor fireplace but it wont be a part of the immediate plan...

Inside Out - Interior & Exterior Design contemporary patio

I love the fireplace with all the stack stone features & once again those gorgeous posts.

Pedersen Associates - Residential - Atherton, CA traditional patio

The pavers, the posts, the white trims, I really do love this look.

shwa traditional patio

 I will show these to my dream guy so he knows just how to finish our pergola.

Kathleen Burke Design patio

A wisteria vine growing over the pergola always tends to create an air of  romance, this is something I would love if the climate here allows.

Ana Williamson Architect-Dana Avenue traditional patio

This image is very similar to the colour scheme of my dream house. The beams of this pergola are the same colour as my roof & the main colours of the house & white windows are also the choices I have made. I would prefer my pergola to be white as well, this home appears to have a terracotta tile roof which is really lovely.

My Outdoor Sanctuary patio

We haven't decided wether or not to render the downstairs area of our house or keep it brick for a bit more interest & contrast.Our builder has recomended staying brick on the bottom as it stands up to the wear & tear of living more so than render. The top story will be built from a thick compressed foam material & then rendered as this has better thermal properties & is a cost effective building method. If it was to be brick I think I would like something similiar to this, what do you think ?

III DomA Architects, Inc. III traditional patio

What fabulous ceilings & hand rails.

Jericho Farmhouse contemporary patio

Love the paving.

Please feel free to offer any advice or suggestions on my choice of finishes, especially in regard to the choice of brick or render on the lower story. We are looking for a low maintenance home, which is why we have chosen pavers & tiles over timber decking. My dream guy works a lot & I would like his time at home to be about relaxation & family, rather than constant home maintenance!

CHEERS
Trish xxx
All images from here

15 comments:

Kerri - Driftwood Interiors said...

My husband and I have very different ideas on what constitutes good design, and our plans for our outdoor area are a case in point. He can't see why I refuse to consider anything other than white timber - to him, there's nothing at all wrong with metal posts etc - yuk! I love your inspirational pics, so if these are anything to go by, yours will be fantastic. K xx

JOE. D said...

We have been 'in discussions' about our outdoor area for a little while now too .. and are undecided as to how big it will be (space is not an issue as we are on 4 acres), theme (ie: i don't want a 'theme' but the Mr seems to think we need one .. ummmm?) and therefor appreciate all your great pics. Found your blog via Kerri @ Driftwood Interiors blog (hi Kerri) and glad I did. Great work. Oh .. you could always just plonk one of my OEKE umbrellas up in the meantime .. hahhahaha

Unknown said...

Love the pics Trush...goes to show outdoor rooms are here to stay in all forms....thanks for some outdoor loves on such a wet rainy day.

Tara said...

Outdoor rooms are just another reason to decorate and who doesn't LOVE that!!!They all look fabulous..

Jenny said...

Hi Trish, we are undergoing some major earth works at present; all part of the plan for our outdoor area to the side of the house. I will be going with something like your 5th and 6th photos. I guess in your case low maintenance is the key and you don't want to have to be re-painting on a regular basis. I think you have great taste and whatever you decide on will be perfect.

Laura said...

Hi trish, I really love the second pic the most. So pretty!
Have a beautiful day,
Laura xxxx

Unknown said...

You are so clever Trish, I have to be more like you and have visuals for my hubby when we are discussing and planning as I know what I am imagining is not what he is imagining! Showing pictures would save a lot of arguing and frustrations. Your house is going to be fantastic. xx

Natalie @ Blossoming Visions said...

Thank you so much for stopping by my blog Trish. Like you I am starting new projects with my recently purchased house. I love the ideas you can get from blogging and can only hope to design rooms that remotely touch what I've seen on here. As for the pergolas...gorgeous!

Gracefully Vintage said...

Sure looks like you have great style-design..
Cant wait to see what you do with what you see out there- There is Just so much inspiration out in blog land- i never know which way to go..
Thanks for stopping by my blog- im a new follower-so ill check back with ya
Karryann

Viera said...

Great Picks. We spend so much time outdoors here in A so nacely decorated outdoor space is the must.
X
V

Anonymous said...

I like the darker posts with the colour scheme of the house i think it adds contrast, just my oppinion.
thanks for commenting on my posts : )
missing you lots
Daughter #1 xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Trish,
The images of the outdoor areas are beautiful. I like your style! In regards to the exposed brick or render dilema, could you perhaps consider having the lower part of the home brick with the view to render down the track if you don't like the look? At least this way you have the option of seeing it finished and then deciding. I know it will mean more mess and cost later, but worth a thought.
X Briohny.

Thea said...

I love outdoor spaces. You are probably right to consider low-maintenance tiling. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog. x

Anonymous said...

wow!

Unknown said...

"I like the darker posts with the colour scheme of the house i think it adds contrast, just my oppinion."
Agreed.

Outdoor Furniture

AddThis Smart Layers