Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Stalking the Globe

I really love all the images I'm seeing of the humble, world globe being used as a decorator piece. I would normally envision a globes placement to be on a book shelf or a desk in a study, but, since I began looking at images in blogs, I have discovered them to be used for so many decorating  applications & I love it!
I never realized that you could get so many styles, sizes & colours.
We have always owned the typical blue globe that you see in a classroom at your local school & we have had a lot of fun over the years, giving it a spin in search of  another country.

Image via Apartment Therapy

 A globe adds an artistic addition to any display.A pop of yellow really looks awesome in this otherwise cool blue & white display.
                                                                         Image via Beach Brights

Do you think everyone that sits on this couch has to give at least one of these globes a spin. 
 What a fabulous mix of old & new.
 I love this look!!!

Image via Design Shrine

The blue & red add great pops of colour in this retro style decor, with a couple of globes in the corner adding a little extra character.


Source Unknown

This is one of my most favourite images, I just love the simplicity of the neutral colour scheme with the traditional style decor.

Image via Dsharp

This rather extensive collection looks as though it has evolved over time

Source Unknown

I love how the globes here are mimicked by the light fittings.


Kit Pollard via Aidlin Darling Designs

A fabulous choice for a room divider

Only globes

A very modern  display, there is a globe available for any style


Teamed with this worn style leather chair & Ottoman, this display lends a masculine feel to the room

This nice big silver globe is very beautiful & I imagine it would be rather expensive, but it would certainly be a lovely feature in any space.

I would love a collection of small paper globes like these to display in a nice bowl on the coffee table, I think they would be a great conversation starter.

Do you have a globe or two at your house & did you think outside the square to display it, or, pop it in the study?

I have noticed in many of the display homes I have toured of late, that globes are definitely a decorating trend with designers at the moment & its one that I am personally enjoying.
I think it gives the home a feeling, that the occupants are perhaps well travelled, so I think I need to jump on this band wagon...apart from a 3 day weekend in New Zealand I haven't travelled at all, but hey,
"Fake it, til, ya make it!!!"
cause I can't see me going anywhere, any time soon!!!

CHEERS
Trish xxx

Some of these images have been in my inspiration file long before I began blogging so I don't always no the source, please email me if you can help me correct this & give the appropriate credit.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

See, thats why the wonderful world of blogs are so great...I was thinking globes and here you are with some inspiration......Thanks

Ange said...

Great post Trish. I love globes but the only ones I have are the book ends that I posted about recently. Like you, Australia and New Zealand are the only countries I have been to but my hubby more than makes up for it as he gets to do a lot of globe trotting with his job. Think I'll join him once the kids are off our hands:o)
Angex

Jenny said...

Hi Trish, good post on globes! We have the stock standard blue one in Hugh's room to encourage his studies etc... don't think it is working though! Seems to be gathering dust!

Jane (the girl in the brick house) said...

I've never noticed globes before, I have to say, but now that you mention them ...they do look fab! I also love the dog print in the first image.

Anonymous said...

What a great post! You know once you start looking you really find them everywhere at junk and antique places. I have't actually purchased one yet. I want an old school one and I can't decide on blue or a warmer tan colour. I know exactly where I want it to go in the lounge....in the place that is still a plan! Thanks for the info on the Zig Zag railway!
X Briohny.

Unknown said...

I have my parents old globe in our house and it is a blue one but I love your idea of the paper globes in a bowl. xx

brismod said...

We always had a globe growing up. There is something nostalgic about them...perhaps that's why they are popular now. We have one but it is for the children. Maybe we should think outside the square...

lisa mae said...

oh i love globes, i'v been scouting the trash'n'treasure markets for one, i think old a shabby would be a bit fun.....good pics lisa xox

Tara said...

This blog was lovely..A globe adds such an air of wisdom to a room..

Honey I'm Home Blog said...

I'm really loving the globes too. I just saw a photo with a grouping of globes for the first time recently & I thought it looked so cool. Thanks for the fun photos!

Warmly, Michelle

Burlap Luxe said...

You have a great eye for beautiful designs in your post!

Thank you Trish for all your regular visits, I am not sure I could make it if I did not have the support I get from bloggers like you:)
You are a girl to love.
xx
Dore

Ez said...

I love the globe pics! I have to say the 8th pic (the modern globe) is my fave! As you know Adam and I are about to start our travels and I'd love to have a globe to be able to look at where we've been (a lot more fun then just an atlas!)

x

CherylT said...

Yes, we do have one of those traditional globes. It doesn't get much use these days, I'm afraid. My favorite photo is the one where the light fixtures match the globes. Very subtle.

Ez said...

Love the new look miss! Looks like you wont be able to use the ole "i'm computer illiterate" excuse anymore eh!! ;-)

Paper Tree Studio said...

Love the globes! I'm working on some vintage tags made from atlases as the moment, so I guess they are related. Love the third image .... just enough retro!! Hope your having a great week. Michelle

Nirvana Mamma said...

I love all the pics on your site. Great eye candy and inspiration. My home is definitely in need of some inspiration!

Laura said...

I love these trish, especially the silver one and the one with all the light fittings in the globey shapes. Gorgeous! dont worry; wont be long now before kids are back at school!!! Winter holidays are definently the worst arent they? hugs, laura xxx

Bring Pretty Back said...

My Mother loves globes so this was such a fun post for me to read. Great photo's!

AddThis Smart Layers