Come on a journey of inspiration & adventure while renovate & restore a beautiful Victorian home 'St Elmo' in the picturesque Hunter Valley, Australia & laugh at a few of our family adventures along the way.




Thursday, January 13, 2011

As you know my dream guy gave me my first ever digital SLR camera for Christmas & I am really enjoying learning how to use it.
I have only ever owned a basic point & shoot camera, but even on the auto settings my photo's are sooo much nicer.


I have found some fantastic web sites & blogs that offer so much photography knowledge with tutorials & weekly assignments to get to know your camera better.


I have been playing with the macro setting


I saw a photo taken on a forum at the
of water dropping into a dish & thought I might try to replicate it, I was already playing with water, food colouring & would you believe baby oil, trying to do some fun abstract photography,


I gained lots of tips, tricks & inspiration for this image from
which at the moment she has a wonderful assignment at the moment for everyone on food photography, including a great  post on "Ten things she has learned about food photography" to get you started, some of the images her readers have entered so far are just "delicious!"


I experimented with my macro setting, changing my aperture & even the sports mode on the dripping water.




I have been learning how to use the light meter to adjust the exposure, all three of these pictures where taken one after the other, adjusting the exposure.
I have even learnt a bit about reading the histogram, to ensure you have the correct, or best exposure possible for a perfect shot.


Ive started studying up on adjusting my white balance to suit the light source & ensure optimum colour in my images, like under the shade of these amazing trees.
Ive have gained so much knowledge from a wonderful blog
Darcy has a fabulous series called "31 days to a better photo" which is an awesome resource for us photography newbies


I have also tried to put a lot of focus, pardon the pun, on composition, to ensure my pictures are appealing to the eye.
I must add that NONE of my photo's have been edited in any way, they are fresh from my camera, that would be a whole other skill to master & I am a one step at a time kinda girl!!!

All of the outdoor images here where taken at a lovely little village called Paterson in the Hunter Valley of NSW Australia.



The kids & I went on a photography excursion & had a picnic dinner in the park here, whilst dream child No1 & I experimented with our new cameras.

It was a very fun afternoon & we hope to have lots of little photography picnics in the future!!

I hope these links are helpful for all of you DSLR newbies, or if you have any sites that you have found helpful & inspiring we would love to hear about them!

CHEERS
Trish xxx






8 comments:

melli said...

ohhhh i love love your shots...i must check out those sites you recommended as I'm still learning too..beautiful shots love it all well done xx

Unknown said...

Well done Trish, you are inspiring me to start learning how to use our camera (hubby's camera. He has tried to explain things to me and given me articles to read and I haven't really made much headway into it. xx

Jane said...

Wow, Trish! Good for you. I'm looking forward to watching your skills develop. J x

Beautiful House said...

Hi Trish, your photos look fab, I was lucky enough to get one for christmas too, I will take a look at your suggested sites, I need all the help I can get.x

Marlon said...

Hi Trish, I am a DSLR Fan too with a Cannon 50D
you can have a look at some of the pics :)

http://picasaweb.google.com/marlondecruz/WaterMarked?authkey=Gv1sRgCPmD_IKW4f22qAE#

i am not sure what program you currently use for editing pics ?? if you get a chance checkout Adobe Lightroom 3 .. it is an awesome program for editing since it does not change the original picture when you are editing ..

Will watch your space for more pics

MrsKT said...

Great photo's, Trish. I am off to check out some of the links, hopefully they will help me work out how to use my new camera :)

Georgy said...

That's great, love the photo of the water droplets, very effective. I have had my DSLR for a while but must admit haven't been that experimental as yet. You have inspired me to give it a go. G

Raine and Sage said...

Hi Trish! I can see you are clearly having a ball with your camera. I would be too! You're doing a teriffic job, the droplets shots are great. You'll be getting asked to do weddings before you know it.

AddThis Smart Layers